Estate Planning 101

Notifying the Veterans Affairs After a Loved One’s Passing

September 13, 2023

Are you an executor or trustee?

Snug can help you get organized by providing one place to store and analyze Wills, Trusts, and other essential documents. You can inventory finances, personal property, digital assets, insurance, and more.
Get started for free

Want to get organized?

Snug can help you organize all of life's details by providing one place to store and analyze Wills, Trusts, and other essential documents. You can inventory finances, personal property, digital assets, insurance, and more.
Get started for free

Want to offer estate planning?

Snug is a complete estate planning solution built for Financial Advisors who want to save time and offer their clients more. Whether you have an UHNW client who needs their documents analyzed or a mass affluent client getting their first Trust, we can help.
Get started for free

Need a Will or Trust?

Snug makes it easy to create a Will or Trust in under 20 minutes. Powers of Attorney and Health Care Directives are included for free with any Will or Trust, as is a year of free updates.
Get started for free

Losing a loved one is an overwhelming experience, and amidst the grief, there is a multitude of responsibilities to be undertaken. One such important task is notifying appropriate parties, such as the Veterans Affairs (VA) if your loved one was a veteran. This step is crucial to stop benefits, apply for death benefits, and obtain relevant information on burial services.

Who Should Be Notified

The Veterans Affairs is a federal agency that provides comprehensive healthcare services, benefits programs, and access to national cemeteries to veterans. If your loved one was a veteran, it is essential to notify the VA to close out their account, end benefits, and to gather information about potential death benefits and veteran burial services.

When to Notify

You should notify the Veterans Affairs as soon as possible after the death of a loved one. This helps prevent any overpayments of benefits, which could lead to subsequent issues.

How to Notify

Notifying the VA can be done by calling the VA toll-free number at 1-800-827-1000. You can also visit a regional VA office in person. Remember to have the veteran's Social Security number and VA claim number (if applicable) on hand.

When notifying the VA, you will also need to provide a copy of the death certificate. You may send this by mail to the VA regional office, but it's often quicker to deliver it in person if possible.

What to Expect After Notification

After you notify the VA, they will guide you through the next steps. Typically, they will stop any ongoing benefits and inform you about any potential survivor benefits, including Dependency and Indemnity Compensation, Survivor's Pension, and the GI Bill for education.

The VA may also provide information about burial in a national cemetery, a grave marker, and a flag for the service, as well as potential reimbursement for some funeral costs.

Tips for Notification

When notifying the VA, it's crucial to keep copies of all correspondence, including dates and times of phone calls or in-person visits. This will be helpful if there are any discrepancies or issues down the line.

Remember, the VA is there to assist you during this difficult time. Don't hesitate to ask questions or seek clarification on any points you're unsure about.


While it's a challenging task, notifying the VA after the passing of a veteran loved one is a crucial step. It ensures the smooth handling of their account, cessation of benefits, and potential access to survivor benefits and dignified burial services. With a little preparation and understanding of the process, you can navigate this task successfully during a difficult time.


Q: Can I notify the VA online?
A: Currently, there is no online process to report a death to the VA. You must call them or visit a regional office in person.

Q: What if I can't find my loved one's VA claim number or Social Security number?
A: The VA can often locate the veteran's record using their full name and date of birth. However, having the VA claim number or Social Security number can speed up the process.

Q: What if my loved one received overpayments after their death?
A: If the VA was not notified promptly and continued to make payments, they would typically request this money back. In some cases, they may waive the overpayment. It's best to discuss this situation directly with the VA.