Estate Planning 101

Notifying American Family Insurance After a Loved One’s Passing

September 13, 2023

Are you an executor or trustee?

Snug can help you get organized by providing one place to store and analyze Wills, Trusts, and other essential documents. You can inventory finances, personal property, digital assets, insurance, and more.
Get started for free

Want to get organized?

Snug can help you organize all of life's details by providing one place to store and analyze Wills, Trusts, and other essential documents. You can inventory finances, personal property, digital assets, insurance, and more.
Get started for free

Want to offer estate planning?

Snug is a complete estate planning solution built for Financial Advisors who want to save time and offer their clients more. Whether you have an UHNW client who needs their documents analyzed or a mass affluent client getting their first Trust, we can help.
Get started for free

Need a Will or Trust?

Snug makes it easy to create a Will or Trust in under 20 minutes. Powers of Attorney and Health Care Directives are included for free with any Will or Trust, as is a year of free updates.
Get started for free

In the wake of a loved one's passing, one of the critical tasks to be undertaken is notifying the appropriate parties, which includes insurance providers. If your loved one had policies with American Family Insurance, this company needs to be notified to handle any ongoing policies, claims or benefits associated with their account.

Who Should Be Notified

American Family Insurance is a private mutual company that offers a range of insurance policies, including auto, home, life, and more. If your loved one had any active policies with American Family Insurance, it is essential to notify the company to manage these policies and understand any potential payouts or benefits.

When to Notify

You should notify American Family Insurance as soon as possible after the death of a loved one. This helps to expedite any claims process and prevent any potential issues with the policies.

How to Notify

Notifying American Family Insurance can be done by calling their customer care center at 1-800-MYAMFAM (1-800-692-6326). You can also contact them via email or through your loved one's insurance agent. You will need to provide a certified copy of the death certificate when notifying them.

What to Expect After Notification

After notifying American Family Insurance, they will guide you through the process of handling the deceased's policies. This may include processing any life insurance claims, transferring or canceling other insurance policies, and providing information about any potential benefits or payouts. They will also inform you about any required documentation or procedures.

Tips for Notification

Keep a record of all communications with American Family Insurance, including dates and times of calls and the names of the representatives you spoke with. This information can be helpful if there are any discrepancies or issues later on. Also, be sure to ask about potential financial implications or changes to the policies.


While dealing with a loved one's passing is challenging, notifying insurance providers like American Family Insurance is a crucial task. It helps in the smooth management of policies, and potential claims or benefits. With a clear understanding of the steps involved, this process can be navigated effectively.


Q: Can I notify American Family Insurance of a death online?
A: Currently, American Family Insurance does not offer an online process to report a death. You must call, email, or contact them through an agent.

Q: What if I can't find my loved one's policy number?
A: American Family Insurance can usually locate the policy using the deceased's full name and date of birth. However, having the policy number can simplify and speed up the process.

Q: What happens if there are no named beneficiaries on the life insurance policy?
A: If there are no named beneficiaries, the policy proceeds are typically paid to the deceased's estate. The distribution of these funds would then be handled according to the deceased's will or the state's inheritance laws.